One of the big features of Google Drive is that you can share files with others so that you can all access the same information and collaborate on those files. Google Drive doesn't just limit you to sharing files, however—you can also share entire folders and then move files in or out of the folder. When a file is in the folder, it is shared; when it is out of the folder it is not shared.
To share a folder (and its contents), follow these steps:
- Log into Google Drive (drive.google.com).
- Navigate through your available files and folders until you find the folder you want to share. (If you can't see all your folders, make sure you click My Drive at the left of the screen.)
- Click the check box at the left of the folder's name.
- Click the Share tool. (The tool has the silhouette of a person on it with a plus sign to the right of the silhouette. The tool appears at the top of the screen only after you click a check box.) Drive displays the Sharing Settings dialog box. (See Figure 1.)
Figure 1. The first Sharing Settings dialog box.
- If you want to have more than a few people access the files in the folder, click the Change link to the right of the Private setting. Drive displays a different Sharing Settings dialog box. (See Figure 2.)
Figure 2. The second Sharing Settings dialog box.
- Using the controls in the dialog box, choose a shared visibility option (Public on the Web or Anyone with the Link) and use the Access drop-down to control what others can do.
- Click Save. Drive again displays the first Sharing Settings dialog box.
- In the Invite People box, enter the e-mail addresses or names of people you want to invite to access the files in your folder.
- Click Done.
Folders are a great organizational tool in Drive. You can individualize folders not just by name, but also by changing ...
Sifting through many files to find the exact file you need can be a bit of a challenge, particularly if you have lots of ...
One of the great features of Google Drive is that the apps that make up the suite work on a wide variety of devices, all ...